Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Time of Blessings

B"H

Something Different


This very lovely lady was from Berlin.  She was the wife of one of Sam's patients.  As I was walking through the clinic to bring Sam some lunch I heard him say, "oh, meet my wife.  She speaks German."  It had been a long time since I last spoke to anyone in German.  Those loved ones were gone from this world.  Nonetheless I did find my mouth and some of my words.  This lovely lady began to speak to me.  And I responded.  Her name is Viktoria and she understood me.  Oh my goodness, my Grossvati would be so proud.  I can still speak. 


After meeting Viktoria and her husband I walked over to medical records to pick up copies of my tests.  Everything came with a report.  Thank G-d!  That saved me a trip to the main hospital.  Discs in hand, I was ready to go home.  As I was driving out of the parking lot, I see Viktoria and her husband going to their car.  I lowered my window to call out to them, to wish them a wonderful Christmas holiday.  Viktoria asks me about some good suggestions for what they could get Sam, Walter's doctor, for Christmas.  I thought out loud saying that this is difficult.  Walter asks me, "does he drink?"  No, my Sam does not drink alcohol.  Viktoria asks about holiday treats.  No, he does not eat cookies and candies.  Although Lebkuchen is certainly a special treat.  I pause for a moment.  Finally, I have an idea.  "If you want to get him something special that he will cherish with all of his heart then give him a blessing.  Get a card or a simple piece of paper and write him a blessing.  Something like ...  May the L-rd make you His good tool and instrument so that everyone who comes to you for help is blessed with His healing and renewal of physical and spiritual health.  This would also bless Walter as well as all of Sam's patients."

SILENCE. 

Both Viktoria and Walter were silent.  She spoke first, saying, "that is different". 

In a world where people curse each other everyday in traffic, it is odd how shy we can be about blessing those in our midst.  I doubt that we can remove the unnecessary curses from the world but perhaps we can give blessings equal time. 

A very blessed season to all who celebrate life.  And special blessings to those who struggle.


No comments:

Post a Comment