Sunday, January 29, 2012

Happy Birthday

B"H,

Yin and Yan
Yan and Yin



Mommy:  And today the baby is two.

Isaac:  That means she is the oldest.

M:  Excuse me, four is older than two.  So, no, she is not the oldest of the two of you. 

I:  Mommy, I am not talking about the body.  I am talking about the soul.  Rachel is the oldest soul in our family.  You are next.  I am after you and Tateh is the baby.  That means Rachel is your boss.  You are my boss.  And I am Tateh's boss.  (He spoke this last line with utter glee.) 

M:  Don't tell this to your father.  It will not be appreciated. 


Years pass filled with many moments like this one.  What did Nancy say before Isaac was born?  ... I was pregnant.  My dear friend is a doctor of Chinese medicine.  She placed her hands on my belly to feel the chi, the life force, of the baby.  She stood there for five minutes before speaking.  "This soul has much yan energy.  You can expect either a domineering woman or a healthy baby boy."  Thank G-d, thank G-d, we received the healthy baby boy. 

A few years later and another pregnancy.  There were many problems and many difficulties.  I was visiting my dear friend who always shares  her inner peace with me.  We have also always tried to spare each other our turmoil.  But that day I possessed no means of protecting her.  And she understood.  I asked if she would feel for the chi of this baby's soul like she had for my first child.  My fears quieted as she placed her hands on my belly and suddenly smiled.  She bowed her head and whispered words not meant for me.  Almost twenty minutes passed before Nancy looked up at me and said, "this chi is pure yin energy.  Though I cannot tell you boy or girl, I can say the baby is healthy.  This soul...," she took a deep breath and then continued, "this soul is the oldest I have ever met." 

A healthy baby ... those words from Nancy gave me peace.  An old soul ... I was clueless.  Who was I about to meet? 

A HEALTHY BABY GIRL WITH DOWN SYNDROME,  Rachel, my boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment